World Environment Day – 5th June 2020
04.06.2020 - Sustainability
Friday 5th June is ‘World Environment Day’, which since 1974 has encouraged worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment.
Cartonboard and folding cartons contribute strongly to some of the key focus areas of ‘World Environment Day’ including:
- Understand, value and disclose our impact and dependency on nature: The Pro Carton ‘Carbon Footprint of Carton Packaging 2019’ report outlined the ‘cradle to grave’ carbon impact of cartonboard and folding cartons, how they act as a carbon store and how beneficial it is to use folding cartons instead of other packaging materials.
- Raw material responsibly sourced through forest certifications: 90 % of the wood use by the European pulp and paper industry is from within the European Union whilst European forests have been growing by the equivalent of 1500 football pitches every day.
- Incorporate sustainability concerns at the earliest stages: Folding cartons are recyclable, biodegradable and made from renewable fibre; the recycling rate of paper packaging is 85 %, the highest of any packaging material.
Folding cartons facilitate the hygienic and efficient movement of products into markets across the globe offering brand owners a fully sustainable packaging format aligned with the ambitions of ‘World Environment Day’ and also the aspirations of the European Commission’s Circular Economy Action Plan.
When it comes to making the switch to sustainable packaging like folding cartons, it is often worth re-examining existing packaging designs or making the most of the cartonboard barrier features that are currently available. As the following examples produced on MMK cartonboard show, there is lots of potential!
- McDonald's: switch from single-use plastic containers for salad to Browncolor
- alverde / dm: switch from blister packaging for tooth brushes to Excellent Top™ Brown
- OTG / Meßmer: switch from cellophane wrapping for tea to FOODBOARD™
- Austrian Retailer: switch from plastic packaging for mangos and avocados to Excellent Top™ Kraft
- Cult Caffé: switch from plastic or aluminum composite packaging for coffee beans to Excellent Top™ Kraft